Fostering Youth into Adulthood
These past few months have been life changing for us as a program. Thank you so much to all of those who have helped to make this program what is today. Just take a look at some of our recent events:
Kappa Delta raised $28,000 for Northern Star as part of their Sorority’s “Run Dahlonega” fundraiser. We chose to donate $5K of the proceeds to our local Habitat For Humanity in appreciation for all they have done for us and to support them after the loss of their space in the True Value fire. We plan to use our portion of the proceeds to build a much needed community room and Office Space for our residents and staff.
Thank you to an amazing volunteer, Talitha, for organizing the “Make Northern Star Beautiful” landscaping day on June 9th. The rain held off and allowed residents, staff, board members, and 20 additional volunteers to make the campus clean and colorful! Thank you to Chick-fil-A for donating breakfast and to True Value for the beautiful flowers and mulch. We are looking forward to Round 2 in early October.
Lumpkin Youth Leadership
This year, Lumpkin County’s Youth Leadership Counsel chose Northern Star as their beneficiary. They planned, publicized and carried out fundraisers to raise over $500 for the program! Northern Star is so grateful for all the thought, time and heart that is standing behind that big check!
What’s New With Our Youth?
Currently we have 2 males and 6 females living on campus. 2 of those are private placements and we would love additional business or individual sponsors in order for those youth to continue in the Life Skills Program. Every month they receive sponsorship is another month they gain independent living skills and continue on the path to becoming a successful adult.
- We’ve officially helped our first program participant to earn her Driver’s License!
- One of our program participants received her GED!
- All of our participants are either currently employed in the community or are taking summer classes!
We Currently Need:
- Tutor, one on one, a couple evenings per week for the next month or two for GED Math.
- Help with transportation. We are down a staff member due to an injury. If there is a day of the week you are available please let us know
- A routine maintenance worker to make minor repairs a few days per month
- Families/Groups/Businesses who would like to sponsor significant events and celebrations
- Gift Cards to be used as incentives for our participants (Most improved, Most ambitious, etc.)
- Household items such as: Cleaning supplies, Kitchen trash bags, Laundry detergent, Dishwasher detergent, Dish soap, Hand soap, Paper towels, etc.
PLEASE SEND DONATIONS TO
PO BOX 1781 DAHLONEGA, GA 30533
Please email staff for donation pick up or drop off at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**If you are interested in planning a fun summer or fall outing, celebrating a youth’s birthday, or planning and cooking a meal with one of the houses, the participants would really enjoy some of those activities!